The Acadia National Park 2016 Centennial
Acadia National Park, jewel of the Maine coast, oldest national park east of the Mississippi, and first park created from land given by citizens, will celebrate its 100th birthday in 2016—a centennial coinciding with that of the National Park Service.
Friends of Acadia and Acadia National Park now collaborate to produce a yearlong, community-based, world-welcoming celebration in which hundreds of partners will honor Acadia by offering events, programs, products, works of art, and contributions to express their bond with their beloved national park. These Acadia Centennial Partners range from solitary coastal artists to multinational corporations.
The spirit of this century of Acadian conservation and continuing stewardship is captured in the tag line: Celebrate Our Past. Inspire Our Future. Its keystone image is a logo created by Maine artist Catherine Breer, whose work won a nationwide contest.
The hub of the centennial is the website: www.acadiacentennial2016.org. Visitors will find current information on centennial events, a searchable calendar, a page for each Acadia Centennial Partner, a history of the park and region, and special interest themes in the centennial: youth, science, the arts, gardens, history.
Media visiting the website will find a Resources Room dedicated to their needs, with a growing pool of story ideas with sources and an archive of Acadia images.
Among the highlights in planning to date for the Acadia Centennial:
- Arts Program – vibrant and diverse yearlong calendar of concerts, gallery shows, readings, paint-ins, lectures, publications, photography tours, sing-outs, art donations, and performance art;
- Acadia Centennial Lecture Series – at least twelve presentations by nationally respected and locally prominent Thought Leaders on the challenges of Conservation in the 21st Century and the contributions of science to conservation;
- Earned Media – Down East magazine will dedicate a 2016 issue to the Acadia Centennial and provide steady editorial coverage during the year. The Mount Desert Islander and Ellsworth American will create a special insert for spring 2016 with a 20,000 press run. Public and private television and radio are planning substantial coverage;
- Gardens Program – All major pubic and many private gardens and garden associations are Acadia Centennial Partners and plan tours, lectures, publications, and events to celebrate their gardens’ resonance with Acadia; and
- Bar Harbor Bank & Trust, Darling’s, Downeast Magazine, Eastern Maine Health Systems, The Hinckley Company, The Jackson Laboratory, The Knowles Company, L.L.Bean, The Mount Desert Islander, MPBN, Ocean Properties, Star 97.7, and Wallace Events have become Signature Sponsors of the Acadia Centennial.